- Reto Junvenil Internacional- Proudly working together since 2009
The school of Quizarra was founded about 50 years ago and since then the building has not been remodeled or enlarged, but the student population, and the community population, has increased dramatically. This particular school is classified as a priority attention school, which means various government ministries provide assistance and scholarships to over 80 % of their students.
The current building, showing signs of wear, is endangering the integrity of students. As such it is necessary to undergo a gradual remodeling of the school, over a period of 3 years, which will allow the school to be completely remodeled. This remodel will increase enrollment and accommodate all the students of the school. There are currently two groups (3rd and 4th grade) that do not have a classroom or space suitable for classes, and use the common space of the teacher’s house to receive classes.
This project encompasses building a classroom and washroom for third and fourth grade students. It is estimated that by 2020 the population of Quizarra will be around 900 people, with about 300 children under 18. This means that over 300 children will benefit from the project in the coming years.
- Volunteers will stay in a communal room attached to the school. It will have electricity and flushing toilets.
- Meals will consist of rice, beans, tortillas, fruit/vegetables, and some meat.
- SOS groups generally work for about 6 hours a day, for 8 days of the 14 day trip.
- Tasks will include but are not limited to: digging trenches, cutting and tying rebar, laying bricks, moving supplies, and mixing cement.
- Every group is overseen by a foreman during construction days and any work requiring technical training will be financed by SOS
- You’ll have the late afternoon/evenings and two rest days throughout the trip to relax, explore the local area and participate in the local community.
For more information on Outreach Trip Logistics, like what to expect, supervision, and safety please visit: www.sosvolunteertrips.org